The University of Alberta’s Urban Planning Students in collaboration with the City of Edmonton have been tasked with leading this project. The students have been organizing and developing this as part of their main project for their HGP 495 Studio class. The purpose of this project is to create, through simple images, an innovative way to highlight simple place-making exercises or possibilities within Edmonton’s downtown.
Step 1 – Site Selection
Twelve (12) key sites have been identified as being suitable for the project, and that with minimal investment could become focal points by means of illustrating simple design interventions.
• An information package can be found at this link, providing information for each site. We will determine the two (2) sites each designer will work on
• There will be a maximum of three (3) independent designers submitting on each site
Step 2 – Design Stage
• Using at least one (1) of the two (2) perspectives / images provided, develop a design concept that you believe could transform the space into a vibrant, public gathering place
• Hand drawn sketches and images are preferred or a combination with minimal computer programs
• Can be permanent, seasonal installations for pilot project
• Digital submissions (min. size 8.5” x11”) of the designs are due March 9, 2015 @ 11:59 PM MST , via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3 – Public Open House
• A public open house will be held end of April showcasing all the design concepts
• The winning designs will be decided by the judging panel and the public; a website showcasing all the designs will be available two weeks prior to the event to allow the public to vote and determine the people’s choice award
• Winners will be announced at the event; the winning design(s) may be implemented in the future
For questions and additional information please contact: email@example.com or view the information package.