The seventh annual Deep Freeze: Byzantine Winter Festival will be held on January 11 and 12, 2014 and will be situated along four closed blocks of Alberta (118) Avenue between 90 and 94 Streets. This winter adventure is themed “The Vikings are Coming!” and embraces the northern climate by melding artistic panache with authentic cultural and heritage winter games and fun.
The Deep Freeze Festival is a free family event that brings together the Ukrainian, Franco- Albertan, Franco-African, First Nations, and Chinese communities to revel in the magic and beauty of winter. Deep Freeze will offer exiting opportunities for both patrons and artists creating unexpected experiences celebrating the community through its urban landscape and exceptional spaces.
The Deep Freeze Festival and Media Architecture Design Edmonton invite designers, architects, builders, makers and artists, to provide a small space to warm up festival attendees at the core of Alberta Avenue. Teams of four or fewer will attack winter head-on with an arsenal of creativity, craft, resourcefulness, and knowledge. An honorarium will be provided to selected participants, in addition to a credit for materials provided by Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The entries will be assessed by a panel of esteemed judges for their successes in function and form, and awarded prizes accordingly.
- Teams may be made up of one (1) to four (4) people. Is it suggested that Huts provide warmth for one (1) to six (6) people.
- Building/assembly will take place on-site Saturday, January 12, 2013 from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. As much or as little of the piece desired may be constructed off-site in advance.
- Participants must provide all of their own tools, materials, labour, and transport, and are responsible for the removal of their pieces between the hours of 4:00 and 9:00 PM Sunday, January 12, 2014.
- The competition site is a vacant lot located on 118 Avenue. The ground below is grass and will likely be covered in snow. There is no electricity provided, and the site will be lit minimally. Each entrant/team will be assigned an area of approximately 5m by 5m.
- Please be aware that pieces must be safe for public access including, but not limited to: no sharp points or edges, no tripping hazards, electric or combustion elements to be safe and supervised. Safety glasses must be used when operating any hand or power tools on site.
- Security is limited to the venue’s existing security operations. Exhibit attendant volunteers will be provided at the installation site during the public hours of operation, and general security will be present overnight. If you have specific security or safety concerns, please include these in your proposal.
- As a public event, Deep Freeze is required to carry comprehensive general liability (CGL) insurance.
- Deep Freeze will produce printed and electronic materials, and site signage to promote the Thaw Hut Competition. All promotional material independently produced by the entrant(s) must provide logo credit back to Deep Freeze and MADE. Entrants may bring their own signage to the installation site if they so choose.
Construction honorarium: $100 per entrant/team
Material honorarium: $100 store credit furnished by Habitat for Humanity ReStore
First place prize: $500
Runner-up prize: $300
Deadline to enter: December 28, 2013
Entrant selection: by January 2, 2014
Competition date: January 11, 2014
A selection committee made up of MADE board members will select participants based on creativity and demonstrated ability. A jury consisting of members of the local art & design community will judge completed entries for first prize awards.
2014 Thaw Hut Competition presented by: